Applesauce and Composting

Rach's Applesauce(also affectionately known by my children as Apple Pie because of the wonderful scent!)
  • Clean 6 lbs. of Apples (I leave the peels on and this weekend I used Jonathan apples.)
  • Dice Apples (I also dice up the cores to put in my compost bucket.)
  • Fill a large pot with apples, 2 Cups of Water, 1/2 Cup of Sugar, 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 Tablespoon of Cinnamon. 

  • Cover. 
  • Bring to a Boil. 
  • Simmer for 1 hour. 
  • Mash the apples. 
  • Cool. Eat or Freeze.
  • Transfer contents of compost bucket to outdoor compost bin.
We've had  a compost bin for as long as we've had a garden. I haven't always been mindful about using it, though. My husband is great about using it as a deposit for outdoor "scraps" (leaves, trimmings, grass, etc.), but I haven't had a system for the indoor scraps. It seems if I have a system then a purpose gets accomplished. I found just the right size bucket to place conveniently right behind my trash can. I am being mindful to put all the scraps that are appropriate for a compost bin in there and then we usually transfer the contents outside once a week. Voila! Rich dirt for the garden. 

    Comments