Reading Update

Last month I gave you a book reading list.
And since you asked for an update 
(oh, wait, you didn't?!),
here it is (in green)!

(PS. I did something,
I'm not sure what,
and some of the green text 
has a white background.
There's nothing more special
about those comments.
I tried to change it back,
but Techy I am not!) 

to read with my husband
Building Strong Families edited by Dennis Rainey
This is an excellent resource.
My husband actually found some articles online
which are chapters within this book.
We are picking and choosing 
what to read together 
(on marriage and children)
and what to read alone
(on wives and husbands).

The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmund Morris
This book just came into the library for us...
it is almost 700 pages long...
we'll see how well we do!

The Bible
We are reading through the Bible 
along with our church,
but are doing this separately.


to read with my daughter
the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace
Ella and I read the first book in the series.
Very cute, but a bit young for my daughter.
We should have read it two years ago, I think.

finish the Guardian of Ga'Hoole series
Okay, Ella actually
finished this series
without me, but was so good
to keep me abreast of new information!

The Last of the Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews Edwards
Picked up from the library.
Awaiting to be read.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Not reading yet. 

Ella was given Mandie, Volume 1 
by Lois Leppard
for her birthday. 
It is 5 children's Christian
mystery books in one volume. 
This volume is consuming our time.
We're already on the third story. 
I highly recommend these books!

to read with my son 
any and all books by
Mo Willems (these books produce belly laughs...)
PD Eastman, Dr. Seuss and Rev. W. Awdry
We're dissing everything but Mo Willems right now.
If you have a two to five year old
pick up the Piggie and Elephant books
or the Pigeon books
by Mo Willems.
I can't say it enough, BELLY LAUGHS! 

to read solo
The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Extraordinary Ordinary People by Condoleeza Rice

The Emperor of All Maladies:
a biography of cancer by Siddhartha Mukherjee

The Last Sin Eater by Francine Rivers

The Urban Homestead by Kelly Coyne and Erik Knutzen

The Backyard Homestead by Carleen Madigan
The only books I've read are the last two listed.
They are wonderful references if you
are trying to use your at home resources wisely.
I like The Urban Homestead better than 
The Backyard Homestead
simply because more of the ideas suggested
were either pertinent to us or 
we are already doing something similar and 
it made me think of how we can do it even better. 

The other books are requested from
my wonderful local library
but will be awhile before I'm at the
top of the list to receive them!

I did get happily distracted by
Stepping Heavenward by 
Elizabeth Prentiss. 
It was $4.50 in my church's bookstore,
and simply screamed for me to purchase it.
Books scream, you know.
 Well, it was a simply wonderful read,
truly a wonderful gift to begin my 2011
reading list.
The books is the fictional account of a 
young woman in the late 1800's - 
first living at home
and then married to a doctor and being 
a wife, homemaker and mother. 
The book is written in the format of her
journal entries. 
As I read this book I felt as if
the author knew my struggles and had
written them down for me.
(It's always a blessing when someone
reads your mind for you.)
However, this young woman
isn't left struggling
but comes to an understanding 
of Christ's Love
and what that can actually mean
in the details
of her life. 
This book is now in 
RACHEL'S FAVORITE column! 

Comments