A Garden Discovery: Amaranth


It if fun to gain gardening knowledge. I'm attempting to get well-rounded in planting our garden, meaning plant year round or at least mostly year round.


Lettuce does not grow well in the hot weather months, but I found a new (to me) red-leaf vegetable that is heat-resistant. I came across Amaranth from browsing at Territorial Seed Company.

However, we are a bit loyal to Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds and since they carry the Amaranth seeds I purchased from that company.


I have been more than pleased with the growth and taste of this vegetable. It has a stronger taste than your average lettuce leaf, is thicker in texture, and IS heat resistant. I have been using Amaranth frequently on my sandwiches this month and the taste is great. I have used it in a pasta dish and it was good, and it is also recommended for stir fry (although I haven't tried that yet).


So, this is a little step in extending my garden's life beyond our typical plant-in-the-Spring mentality. Hopefully, there will be more to come soon!


Comments