Pie on a Monday

Desserts around my home are usually made on the weekends. That is, with the exception of the Winter season when brownies could be thrown in the oven any day, any time.

Peaches were on sale last week along with a myriad of other fruit which I purchased without hesitation. Grapes, cherries, cantaloupe - they are all ready to be eaten in my 'frig.

Those peaches, though, were beckoning me to be made into pie. As it happens, I've never made peach pie. Peach crisp? Yes. Pie? No. Until this morning.

Last night I put the pie together:

In a deep dish pie pan I layered slices of fresh peaches with a mixture of 1/3 C. flour, 1/4 salted butter, 3/4 C. sugar and 1 T. cinnamon. I placed a pre-made pie shell on top, covered with plastic wrap and then refrigerated.


This morning, early, I baked the pie at 350 degrees for 1 hour. I've found that if I need (want?) to bake something then I can do it in the morning - 6am-ish - and the house is cooled off enough from the evening that it doesn't hurt the temperature. I'm not sure how, with the oven chugging at 350 degrees, but I've tried this more than once this Summer and each time the house has been a-okay.

So, Peach Pie it was for dessert on a Monday. Extravagant, wonderful and so much so that we all had a (smidgen of a) second helping even leaving leftovers to spare.

 


Comments