A Fall Recipe: Butter Bean Soup

I first enjoyed Butter Bean Soup at my mother-in-law's home when I was dating my husband.

I broke bread many times with my husband's mother and siblings during the years before we married, and this soup was always one of my favorite meals.

The recipe was designed to be similar to Olive Garden's Pasta Fagioli soup, but my daughter has affectionately changed the name to Butter Bean Soup since she has a love of butter beans.

The recipe is simple. (I apologize in advance for not putting exact amounts. It seems I cook this way now! Just use what you like and it will turn out nice, soups usually do!)

  • Saute onion and garlic in olive oil
  • Add Italian sausage
  • Once sausage is cooked through add butter beans, black beans and kidney beans. (I usually use canned beans, but drain them and rinse them before I add to the sausage mixture.)
  • Add diced tomatoes (with juices is fine).
  • Add beef broth (enough to cover).
  • Simmer until ready to eat.
If I need to leave the house I'll  do all the steps until it needs to simmer, and pour the soup into the slow cooker and put it on low. Easy.

When ready to serve you can add pasta digitali, or your favorite pasta, and top with parmesan cheese. Honestly, I don't usually add the pasta and cheese to the soup, but serve bread or grilled cheese sandwiches along with the soup.

It is a yummy, no-fuss meal. Let me know if you try it!

Comments

Mommy Emily said…
this sounds delicious friend. i'm so glad you commented on my post tonight, so i could find your blog here. how you encourage me... thank you. bless you.