too fond of books?!


She is too fond of books, and it has turned her brain. Louisa May Alcott




I've been meaning to mention some new books we've been enjoying. We are heading into warmer weather when my reading time minimizes, although I do try to have something on my bedside table to read when I have the opportunity. My personal reading time is usually in the evening, at the close of the day, or during the afternoon if the children are on their own and I have dinner prepared!

Recently, I have been reading the following books.
  • My Utmost for His Highest by Oswald Chambers ~ This is a great daily Bible devotional, and Chambers doesn't hold back. The last time I read this devotional was in college, and am really enjoying how the author simply tells it like Scripture tells it. Chambers was passionate about knowing Jesus, stripping his perspective and motivations from external expectations and judgments, and focusing on his heart, encouraging you to do the same.
  • A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle ~ I picked this book up to preview for my daughter. I had not previously read a work by L'Engle, but A Wrinkle in Time had me pleasantly surprised. The author infused this book, and many of her other works, with science and fantasy, which are (usually) not my areas of expertise or interest. The theme of this book is love, and I am in awe of the way she crafted her story. It took just one book, but I am now a L'Engle fan! It will be a few years, though, before this books is a fit for my daughter.
  • The Book That Made Your World by Vishal Mangalwadi is a book my pastor recommended. He is currently teaching the book of Luke from the Bible and referenced The Book That Made Your World during a sermon. I am more than enjoying the study in Luke, and his description of this book encouraged me to go ahead and purchase it. I am not even finished reading the first chapter, but am thrilled with what I am reading and anticipating great history lessons as I read this over 400 page book!
    • Jesus the One and Only by Beth Moore. I picked this up at the library as a complement to my pastor's sermon series on Luke. I only made it thru five chapters before needing to return it to the library. It is a good read, but the Sunday series is actually speaking to me well enough that I probably won't check this book out again.
    • Mountains of Spices by Hannah Hurnard. Hurnard wrote Hinds Feet on High Places which is more than wonderful. Mountains of Spices is an accompaniment to that book. I have not started this book since I've been reading so many others, but it sits waiting for me!

    I've been pleased with my son's increasing interest in reading; he now even enjoys reading alone. The Usborne Stories for Little Boys was a great pick from the library. It included several stories including adaptations of Pinocchio and The Emperor's New Clothes. Since the emperor's new clothes are invisible that received many giggles, over and over! He is also enjoying the Dr. Seuss Big Blue Book of Beginner Books comprising many books including The Best Nest, Are You My Mother, and Put Me In A Zoo. Sweetness is hearing him read these aloud by himself!

    My daughter and I recently read Misty of Chincoteague by Marguerite Henry and The Bear Nobody Wanted by Janet and Allen Ahlberg.  These are both wonderful, heartfelt reads which include great teaching moments for children. There are more books which continue the Misty story, so we'll be checking those out soon. Although my daughter reads independently, I hide some books, keeping them aside for us to share together. Since she is so independent in her reading, sweetness is continuing to read with her!

    Books are not made for furniture, but there is nothing else that so beautifully furnishes a house. Henry Ward Beecher

    Comments