marmalade

It is Spring and snow is on the ground. -Sigh-

The good news is that the snow is melting, the Pansies are still a'bloom in the garage and we should reach highs in the 50's and 60's later this week. Let's get the new season started!


On Sunday when we received a number of inches of new snow, we stayed cozy inside and I tried my hand at making marmalade. I have made strawberry jam in the past, with good results, and had bookmarked a Country Living recipe for marmalade. So armed with a clearance three pound bag of tangerines ($.99), marmalade I made.


    Quick Tangelo Marmalade
      Courtesy of Country Living
    Ingredients
3 pound(s) (about 8 to 10 small fruits) Tangelos
1 Vanilla Bean
4 cup(s) Sugar
1 cup(s) Water
1/2 Granny Smith Apple



Directions
Wash and quarter tangelos. 
Over a medium bowl, and using a handheld juicer, juice the fruit. 
Peel the rinds from the juiced segments. 
Slice the rinds into 1/4-inch-wide strips and discard the rest of the fruit. 
Over a small bowl, split vanilla bean and scrape seeds 
(reserving both the pod and the seeds).  
In a large Dutch oven, combine juice, rinds, and vanilla pod and seeds
 with sugar, water, and Granny Smith apple. 
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, 
until rinds are tender and liquid is thickened, about 1 hour. 
Remove and discard apple and vanilla-bean pod. 
Set marmalade aside to cool completely, about 1 hour. 
Transfer to a large, clean glass jar and store, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.
 
I did tweek the recipe in two ways. I used vanilla extract instead of the vanilla bean, and I simmered my marmalade for two hours instead of one because it was not thickening. For me it did not thicken until it was cool.


I'm a fan of marmalade, and my children even enjoy it (as a child I didn't enjoy the rinds), so making my own and enjoying the fresh taste is wonderful. Breakfast toast has never tasted better!

Comments