bugged!

This time of year our yard is filled to the brim with insects and spiders. 


My kids love wandering around the yard looking for these creatures, 
specifically moths and butterflies because they are easy to catch and release. 


Grasshoppers are usually avoided since they fly, 
and you never know which direction they will go.



The bees love our herbs.


These worms love the parsley, dill and fennel.
When found, we simply snip a piece of the herb on which the worm is feeding
and then give it to the chicken (herb and worm) so they can show some love too. 



The locusts have been deafening. 
While mowing one day, 
I could even hear one above the roar of the machine.
A Preying mantis has also shown up,
usually at night hanging out on the front door screen 
eating its helping of moths
attracted to our light.

We even have walking sticks. These are something of a novelty, rarely seen for us.
They take me back to my childhood when I saw them frequently.


The most amazing sight, though, has been the hummingbird moth
that has been present in our garden.
We have never seen this creature before this year. 
Its name comes from the fact that it looks and acts just like a hummingbird.
One morning while gathering kale, I came across the moth
drinking from the basil flowers. 
(The picture below is not mine, by the way. 
I didn't have my camera with me,
and I don't think my device has the capability of capturing 
this fast moving creation!)


A hummingbird (bird) is a bit flighty, and doesn't linger when people are near.
But this moth! It let me hangout with him/her for a good ten minutes,
even standing just a foot away. 
Its tongue really is that long, and is quite something to see in action.

Since we studied this creature last year using the 
Christian Liberty Nature Reader, Book 2 (where we first heard of it)
it was that much sweeter to see it firsthand.

It really is such a gift to see these creatures. 
It's amazing to me that the Creator was so diversified in His scope of creating;
and then to see His art up close,
well, it does render me speechless,
even viewing the hummingbird moth,

Comments