squash soup

I am so excited. I have found another use for the many packages of garden zucchini stored in my freezer. At an event a few weeks ago I was able to taste Zucchini Soup for the first time. It was a beautiful light green color in appearance, creamy and tasty. This week I asked my friend Heather for the recipe. I have adjusted the recipe enough, though, that I have renamed it Squash Soup.

I challenged myself to use only vegetables I had on hand, harvested from our own garden. This means my recipe doesn't include diced onion, but can be added if desired. My husband found these final three Golden Yukon potatoes when clearing out the garden recently. It was nice have these on hand to add to the soup.



Squash Soup



Ingredients
4 C. chicken stock
3 unpeeled potatoes diced
1 cup green bell pepper diced
4 C. squash, seeds removed and diced (I used zucchini and yellow crookneck squash)
2 T. yogurt
Directions
1. Boil potatoes, peppers, and squash in chicken stock until vegetables are soft.
2. Put half of the ingredients (including stock) in the blender and add 1 T. yogurt. 
3. Repeat with the second half of the ingredients.
4. Put everything back in the pot and simmer until thickened.
5. Garnish with parmesan cheese, salt and pepper. Service with crackers.

Comments