the season and reading

Yes, it's that time of year to turn inward, to nesting at home, to cooking day long, to being cozy. The garden has been put to rest. Our beautiful Sugar Maple leaves provide beauty for the beholder, entertainment for our children and a blanket for the garden. I now turn to thoughts of the 2014 garden and am tempted once again to expand the garden. I'll be putting my plans on paper and then see what comes to fruition next year.


This season is such a dichotomy. Although I feel quiet, there is quite a lot going on. It is hunting season. It is performance season (for my children's music events). It is holiday season. It is schooling season (and I'm loving our daily rhythm). Finally, it is reading season. The reading that has been taking place in this home is just thrilling to me! Today, I think I'll share a list of books we have been enjoying.

Reading with my son (age 7)
Winnie The Pooh by A.A. Milne
The House At Pooh Corner by A.A. Milne
(The Pooh books are the original, unabridged versions. I first read these a few year ago with my daughter and was stunned to so enjoy these stories. The cartoons and easy readers just don't do these stories justice. We usually read one chapter at a sitting, which is one complete adventure.)

The Adventures of Timmy Tiptoes by Beatrix Potter

The Mouse and the Motorcycle, Runaway Ralph and Ralph S. Mouse by Beverly Cleary

Reading with my daughter (age 9)
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle
A Swiftly Tilting Planet by Madeleine L'Engle
(These books give an astounding perspective on loving, naming and time. They stretch the imagination, for sure. They are truly captivating. I so enjoyed reading these with my daughter for the first time. She could not get enough of the stories. One night we read out loud together for over two hours finishing A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Sweet times to treasure!)

The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge
(Goudge is a new author for us, and I'm excited to read this tale with my daughter.)

Reading for myself
The Mitford Series by Jan Karon
(This cute series nestled in village in the mountains of North Carolina, told from the perspective of the resident Episcopal priest. That description doesn't do it justice. If you enjoy a cozy series, full of humor, inspiration and people overflowing with character you might enjoy these books. I seem to frequently pull these out at this time of year.)

Listening
The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
(I have not read Tolkien, but my children and husband adore these stories. Of course, I have seen the movies, though! When the 1990 version read by Rob Inglis was recommended on a recent podcast I decided to see if my library had copies. Sure enough they did, and I quickly came into possession of these audio CD's. I adore listening to these stories. I love hearing the written word read out loud, which stems from my time with my children, and hearing Tolkien's tales filling our home is quite a delight.

If you have a favorite author or book, please share that information as I'm always on the look out for more resources for my family.

Comments