carrot soup

Our squash harvest wasn't overly abundant this year, so I've been missing the soup I regularly make in the winter with that vegetable. It came to mind last month that a friend mentioned how much she enjoyed carrot soup, which is similar in texture to squash soup. I looked up a recipe, which I now can't find the link to, but listed below is the basic recipe (it's easy to memorize).
~
Since we have a large stash of tomatoes and carrots in the freezer, this has been a convenient lunch to prepare for me and the children.


Saute chopped onion in olive oil.
Add 2 C. crushed tomatoes with juice and 1 pound chopped carrots.
Cover with water or chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Simmer until carrots are tender.
Pour mixture into blender and puree.
Add 1/2 C. of sour cream and blend. 
Serve with salt & Parmesan cheese.

(It's common to add garlic and ginger to saute with the onion 
and add herbs to the finished soup, 
but I've been keeping it simple.)

Comments