6 of 40: Tcha-To-Ga trail


Hike six of (hopefully) forty this year found the children and I on a weekday afternoon at the Tcha-To-Ga trail that we seem to now frequent. What is significant about this hike is that I took the children on my own without Jesse. In such (to me) remote locations I don't feel the safest on my own. I have led the children on the woodland trails at the Overland Park Arboretum, but since they are attached to the main gardens it doesn't seem remote. I have been thinking about leading the children alone for awhile, and Jesse was always an encouragement feeling that it was a safe location and said to take the dog since they deter both people and animals (which we saw neither of today). 

Our spring-like temperatures and bright sunshine today was too much to resist. Late morning after most of our book work was done I decided that a walk in the woods after lunch was just the ticket. The hike was different without Jesse, which means all the responsibility fell to me and we didn't have our human compass and nature guide with us! Thankfully, I didn't take one wrong turn on the trail, we made good time, hiking the 2.3 miles in just over an hour, and I really enjoyed leading while having Arwen with me. We attempted a selfie with her, but that didn't turn out viewable! This gives me the confidence to do more hikes on my own with the children, but I'm sure it will always be with the dog and at a location that we've frequently hiked with Jesse so that I'm familiar with the layout and can lead with confidence.

I didn't have the ability to take many photos today, but posts with more details of this trail can be found here and here.


Comments

Susanna said…
That's great that you were able to do it all by yourselves! I'm so directionally challenged!